The Most Poisonous Fruit For Dogs

The Most Poisonous Fruit For Dogs


Every responsible pet owner has to ask themselves
some form of the question, “What are the different ways I could possibly poison my furry friend?” It’s disturbing to think about, but also crucial
to avoid tragic accidents. If you have, for example, a dog that you want
to keep alive, you’ve got to make sure it doesn’t chow down on human foods that its
body can’t handle. One of the most well-known toxic treats is
chocolate, whose caffeine and theobromine are potentially fatal to canines. But even something healthy-sounding like fruit
could lead to your dog’s death. As natural-born carnivores, dogs have no dietary
need for fruit. The occasional fruit is okay in some cases,
but there are certain fruits that are altogether deadly. For instance, cherries contain cyanide, which
can inhibit a dog’s breathing. In fact, cyanide can be a hidden hazard even
in fruits that are generally considered safe for dogs, such as peaches, pears, and mangoes. While the fruit itself doesn’t pose a threat
in these three cases, the seeds and pits contain cyanide and thus should be completely removed. Avocados are another no-no, as they’re packed
with persin, a toxin which induces vomiting and diarrhea in dogs. While no toxic fruit belongs in a dog’s mouth,
the American Kennel Club makes a point of saying that grapes are one fruit dogs should
absolutely never eat. Grapes, and their wrinkly counterparts, raisins,
appear to be extremely toxic and may cause kidney failure in dogs regardless of breed
or age. “You don’t want to wait to eat your raisins?” “No!” “Why not?” “Because they’ll turn into a grapes.” “I’m not sure that’s the way it works.” “Yes.” But exactly why these toxic reactions occur
is unclear. Further complicating matters is the fact that
grapes affect individual dogs in dramatically different ways. A 2016 study in the journal Frontiers in Veterinary
Science notes that some dogs become ill after consuming just a handful of grapes while others
seem unfazed after eating a whole kilogram. Moreover, scones, mince pies, fruit cakes,
and other baked goods that contain grape products can also poison your furry friend. Even the residue from grape pressing can do
serious harm. A physician at Greenbrier Emergency Animal
Hospital observed that some dogs that initially seem immune to grape toxicity have later become
ill after eating grapes or raisins in future instances. So even if your pet appears to have an iron
stomach at first, that tolerance might have an unknown expiration date. Regardless of how many grapes your dog eats,
it’s crucial that they receive medical treatment within the first 72 hours, according to veterinarian
Renee Very. In 2007, Very saved the life of a 16-pound
border terrier named Casey that ate a one-and-a-half-ounce box of raisins. Despite being rushed to the vet within 18
hours of downing the raisins, Casey was already experiencing acute renal failure. She needed two days and two nights of emergency
care. Five days after the incident, she still hadn’t
fully recovered. Between 2003 and 2004, the ASPCA Animal Poison
Control Center received 140 calls from people whose dogs consumed grapes or raisins. Fifty of them fell ill, and seven died. In 2016, the center received 3,722 calls related
to grape or raisin consumption. Based on the data from that year, the ASPCA
determined that human foods such as grapes were the third most common toxins consumed
by dogs. While not every dog reacts the same way to
consuming this particular fruit, PetMD provides a list of symptoms that may indicate grape
or raisin poisoning. They include vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal
pain, loss of appetite, seizures, weakness, trembling, a lack of urination, mouth ulcers,
and bad breath. Time is of the essence, so it’s important
to contact a professional immediately if something seems awry. A veterinarian might recommend that you induce
vomiting, but if your dog seems unable to breath or exhibits symptoms of shock, then
inducing vomiting isn’t a good idea. In general, the best way to protect your furry
friend is to feed it foods specifically designed for canine consumption. So no matter how much your pooches try to
guilt you with their adorable puppy-dog eyes, resist the temptation to feed them chocolate-covered
raisins like your life depends on it, because their life absolutely does. Check out one of our newest videos right here! Plus, even more Grunge videos about your favorite
stuff are coming soon. Subscribe to our YouTube channel and hit the
bell so you don’t miss a single one.

16 Replies to “The Most Poisonous Fruit For Dogs”

  1. Even a wee dose of food can kill. Be careful what you feed to your dog and make sure you don't drop anything poisonous on the floor.

  2. I used to give my dog grapes when he would see me eating and beg for what I was eating, but he was smart enough to not like them. Don't feed your dog grapes, raisins, or foods containing grapes or raisins.

  3. I had a dog once back in the day when I was the only o.g kicking the new style, the strange thing about the dog I had back in the day was the kind of thing people find to be really strange,I'm not sure why people find it strange , i find it strange that people find it really strange but back in the day when I was the only o.g kicking the new style it was strange

  4. My dog ate every year a few hundred cherrys from our cherry trees and he lived 15 years with no problem. ( we did not feed it to him he went for it alone)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *